Tests Don't Determine All Answers

After completing my DISC personality test, I was shocked to find out that my personality type is a "precisionist", according to the test.  In simplest terms, I disagree.  For starters, I don't truly understand how the test works.  I understood the instructions, and process of graphing my results, providing me with a CS style, but could not follow exactly how I received the readings of a "precisionist" based on my tally sheet.  

While I do tend to get obsessive over some situations in wanting things to be precise and correct, I wouldn't identify myself as an overall precisionist or perfectionist.  It's enjoyable when things are nice, neat and in order, but I wouldn't see myself losing my head over some lack of organization or planning.  

However, in response to those mentioned as "well known" precisionist or important figures in history, I did find myself relating to those mentioned.  I related to them not on that of my perfection level, but rather their creativity and connection to the arts.  Beethoven and Eric Clapton being two of the few that were mentioned.

Personally, I find there to be a wide variety of personality traits that dominate who I am at my core more than that of being a perfectionist.  While someone may have a personality trait or aspect that may be able to be used to describe or encompass their being, it's very doubtful that a simple test could complete that task.  What I've learned... tests aren't as accurate as we think them to be, and they don't determine who or what one is capable of.  Rather, I see tests, in any form, as a way to comprehend a general level of whatever is being measured or analyzed.




Comments

  1. Kariss, I found your blogpost effectively self-reflective and interesting. From your post, I learned that according to the DiSC personality test, Precisionists value stability and practicality' however they are characterized by immense creativity as well. I connected to your point that while these tests do serve a purpose in comprehending a general idea about people, they are not absolute and limiting individuals to the categories they might fall into would be disadvantageous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the perspective that you took when you found out your results. Challenging the test and looking for the similarities that you could find was a different outlook. It was very interesting and a great blog post! I fully agree that tests do not define anybody and I have always stood by that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the direction you took with your test and questioning its validity, I did the same sort of write up with journal. I don't want to outright disagree with my results and ignore them, I just want to make sure they are actually correct and backed by some sort of science or reasoning. Either way I will still accept my results and try to use them to my benefit, but I also have results from some other personality tests who have seemed to be a bit more helpful. If you haven't yet I would suggest taking the 16 personalities test as the results seemed very more detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super interesting approach to analyzing this test! I completely agree with your last point about personality tests generalizing things that could (and should) be analyzed on a deeper level. Though I personally find them interesting, I also believe that we definitely convince ourselves that certain results are true even when they aren't. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kariss,

    I believe it is okay when we disagree with the results of a test...the true question comes in why? I liked how you re-evaluated the results after reading a bit further in historical figures that share your personality type. Very well done!

    10/10

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment